Scrabble word: SANCTION
In which Scrabble dictionary does SANCTION exist?
Definitions of SANCTION in dictionaries:
- noun - formal and explicit approval
- noun - a mechanism of social control for enforcing a society's standards
- noun - official permission or approval
- noun - the act of final authorization
- verb - give sanction to
- verb - give authority or permission to
- verb - give religious sanction to, such as through on oath
- Authoritative permission or approval that makes a course of action valid.
- Support or encouragement, as from public opinion or established custom.
- A consideration, an influence, or a principle that dictates an ethical choice.
- A law or decree.
- The penalty for noncompliance specified in a law or decree.
- A penalty, specified or in the form of moral pressure, that acts to ensure compliance or conformity.
- A coercive measure adopted usually by several nations acting together against a nation violating international law.
- To give official authorization or approval to: “The president, we are told, has sanctioned greed at the cost of compassion” (David Rankin).
- To encourage or tolerate by indicating approval.