Scrabble word: PROMISE
In which Scrabble dictionary does PROMISE exist?
Definitions of PROMISE in dictionaries:
- noun - a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
- noun - grounds for feeling hopeful about the future
- verb - make a promise or commitment
- verb - promise to undertake or give
- verb - make a prediction about
- verb - give grounds for expectations
- A declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow.
- Something promised.
- Indication of something favorable to come; expectation: a promise of spring in the milder air.
- Indication of future excellence or success: a young player of great promise.
- To commit oneself by a promise to do or give; pledge: promised a quick answer; left early but promised to return.
- To afford a basis for expecting: thunderclouds that promise rain.
- To make a declaration assuring that something will or will not be done.
- The central meaning shared by these verbs is “to declare solemnly that one will perform or refrain from a particular course of action”: promise to write soon; covenanting to exchange their prisoners of war; engaged to reorganize the department; pledged to uphold the law; plighted their loyalty to the king; swore to get revenge; vowed they would never surrender.
- verb - to make a declaration of assurance