Scrabble word: PATRIARCH
In which Scrabble dictionary does PATRIARCH exist?
Definitions of PATRIARCH in dictionaries:
- noun - title for the heads of the Eastern Orthodox Churches (in Istanbul and Alexandria and Moscow and Jerusalem)
- noun - the male head of family or tribe
- noun - any of the early biblical characters regarded as fathers of the human race
- noun - a man who is older and higher in rank than yourself
- A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- One of the antediluvian progenitors of the human race, from Adam to Noah.
- Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or any of Jacob’s 12 sons, the eponymous progenitors of the 12 tribes of Israel.
- Used formerly as a title for the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria.
- A bishop who holds the highest episcopal rank after the pope.
- Any one of the bishops of the sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, and Jerusalem who has authority over other bishops.
- The head of the Sanhedrin in Syrian Palestine from about 180 B.
- A high dignitary of the priesthood empowered to invoke blessings.
- One who is regarded as the founder or original head of an enterprise, an organization, or a tradition.
- A very old, venerable man; an elder.
- The oldest member of a group: the patriarch of the herd.