Scrabble word: DISTRESS
In which Scrabble dictionary does DISTRESS exist?
Definitions of DISTRESS in dictionaries:
- noun - psychological suffering
- noun - a state of adversity (danger or affliction or need)
- noun - extreme physical pain
- noun - the seizure and holding of property as security for payment of a debt or satisfaction of a claim
- verb - bring into difficulties or distress, especially financial hardship
- verb - cause mental pain to
- To cause strain, anxiety, or suffering to.
- To hold the property of (a person) against the payment of debts.
- To mar or otherwise treat (an object or a fabric, for example) to give the appearance of an antique or of heavy prior use: “There are the fakes—new rugs which have been intentionally distressed for an older look” (Hatfield MA Valley Advocate).
- To constrain or overcome by harassment.
- Anxiety or mental suffering.
- Severe strain resulting from exhaustion or an accident.
- Acute physical discomfort.
- Physical deterioration, as of a highway, caused by hard use over time: pavement distress.
- The condition of being in need of immediate assistance: a motorist in distress.
- The act of distraining or seizing to compel payment.
- Often used to modify another noun: distress merchandise; a distress sale.
- verb - to cause anxiety or suffering to