Scrabble word: TENSION
In which Scrabble dictionary does TENSION exist?
Definitions of TENSION in dictionaries:
- noun - (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
- noun - the physical condition of being stretched or strained
- noun - a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies (especially in art or literature)
- noun - (physics) a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body
- noun - feelings of hostility that are not manifest
- noun - the action of stretching something tight
- The act or process of stretching something tight.
- The condition of so being stretched; tautness.
- A force tending to stretch or elongate something.
- A measure of such a force: a tension on the cable of 50 pounds.
- The interplay of conflicting elements in a piece of literature, especially a poem.
- Mental, emotional, or nervous strain: working under great tension to make a deadline.
- Barely controlled hostility or a strained relationship between people or groups: the dangerous tension between opposing military powers.
- Uneasy suspense: a comic scene that relieved the tension of the drama.
- A balanced relation between strongly opposing elements: “the continuing, and essential, tension between two of the three branches of government, judicial and legislative” (Haynes Johnson).
- A device for regulating tautness, especially a device that controls the tautness of thread on a sewing machine or loom.
- adj - fully stretched, so as not to be slack
- verb - to bring together in intricate confusion