Scrabble word: MANTLE
In which Scrabble dictionary does MANTLE exist?
Definitions of MANTLE in dictionaries:
- noun - the cloak as a symbol of authority
- noun - United States baseball player (1931-1997)
- noun - the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
- noun - anything that covers
- noun - (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
- noun - shelf that projects from wall above fireplace
- noun - hanging cloth used as a blind (especially for a window)
- noun - a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter
- verb - spread over a surface, like a mantle
- verb - cover like a mantle
- A loose, sleeveless coat worn over outer garments; a cloak.
- Something that covers, envelops, or conceals: “On a summer night... a mantle of dust hangs over the gravel roads” (John Dollard).
- Variant of mantel.
- The outer covering of a wall.
- A zone of hot gases around a flame.
- A device in gas lamps consisting of a sheath of threads that gives off brilliant illumination when heated by the flame.
- The cerebral cortex.
- The outer wall and casing of a blast furnace above the hearth.
- The wings, shoulder feathers, and back of a bird when differently colored from the rest of the body.
- A fold or pair of folds of the body wall that lines the shell and secretes the substance that forms the shell in mollusks and brachiopods.
- To cover with or as if with a mantle; conceal.
- To spread or become extended over a surface.
- To become covered with a coating, as scum or froth on the surface of a liquid.
- To be overspread by blushes or colors: a face that was mantled in joy.
- verb - to keep from sight or discovery