Scrabble word: SUPPOSED
In which Scrabble dictionary does SUPPOSED exist?
Definitions of SUPPOSED in dictionaries:
- verb - express a supposition
- verb - expect, believe, or suppose
- verb - to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds
- verb - take for granted or as a given
- verb - require as a necessary antecedent or precondition
- adj - required or under orders
- adj - mistakenly believed
- adj - doubtful or suspect
- adj - based primarily on surmise rather than adequate evidence
- Presumed to be true or real without conclusive evidence.
- Intended: medication that is supposed to relieve pain.
- Required: He is supposed to go to the store.
- Permitted: We are not supposed to smoke here.
- The central meaning shared by these adjectives is “put forth or accepted as being true on inconclusive grounds”: the supposed cause of inflation; conjectural criticism; the site of a hypothetical colony; a foundling’s putative father; the reputed author of the article; suppositious reconstructions of dead languages; supposititious hypotheses.
- verb - to assume to be true