Scrabble word: BURDEN
In which Scrabble dictionary does BURDEN exist?
Definitions of BURDEN in dictionaries:
- noun - an onerous or difficult concern
- noun - weight to be borne or conveyed
- noun - the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- noun - the central idea that is expanded in a document or discourse
- verb - weight down with a load
- verb - impose a task upon, assign a responsibility to
- Something that is carried.
- Something that is emotionally difficult to bear.
- A source of great worry or stress; weight: The burden of economic sacrifice rests on the workers of the plant.
- A responsibility or duty: The burden of organizing the campaign fell to me.
- The amount of cargo that a vessel can carry.
- The weight of the cargo carried by a vessel at one time.
- To weigh down; oppress.
- The central meaning shared by these nouns is “something that is onerous or troublesome”: the burden of a guilty conscience; indebtedness that is an affliction; illness that is her cross; sitting still, a trial to the very young; domestic tribulations.
- A principal or recurring idea; a theme: “The burden of what he said was to defend enthusiastically the conservative aristocracy” (J.
- The chorus or refrain of a composition.
- The drone of a bagpipe.
- The bass accompaniment to a song.
- verb - to load heavily