Scrabble word: DICTATE
In which Scrabble dictionary does DICTATE exist?
Definitions of DICTATE in dictionaries:
- noun - an authoritative rule
- noun - a guiding principle
- verb - issue commands or orders for
- verb - say out loud for the purpose of recording
- verb - rule as a dictator
- To say or read aloud to be recorded or written by another: dictate a letter.
- To prescribe with authority; impose: dictated the rules of the game.
- To control or command: “Foreign leaders were... dictated by their own circumstances, bound by the universal imperatives of politics” (Doris Kearns Goodwin).
- To say or read aloud material to be recorded or written by another: dictated for an hour before leaving for the day.
- To issue orders or commands.
- A directive; a command.
- The central meaning shared by these verbs is “to set forth expressly and authoritatively”: victors dictating the terms of surrender; confiscation of alien property decreed by the legislature; impose obedience; a separation seemingly ordained by fate; taxes prescribed by law.
- verb - to read aloud for recording