Scrabble word: PAUSE
In which Scrabble dictionary does PAUSE exist?
Definitions of PAUSE in dictionaries:
- noun - a time interval during which there is a temporary cessation of something
- noun - temporary inactivity
- verb - interrupt temporarily an activity before continuing
- verb - cease an action temporarily
- To cease or suspend an action temporarily.
- To linger; tarry: paused for a while under the huge oak tree.
- To hesitate: He paused before replying.
- A temporary cessation.
- A delay or suspended reaction, as from uncertainty; a hesitation: After a pause the audience broke into cheers.
- A break, stop, or rest, often for a calculated purpose or effect: After a dramatic pause, the lawyer finished her summation.
- A break or rest in a line of poetry; a caesura.
- The central meaning shared by these nouns is “a temporary stop, as in activity”: a short pause in the conversation; a concert with the usual 15-minute intermission; the legislature’s summer recess; toiling without respite; a suspension of work.
- verb - to stop temporarily