Scrabble word: RELIEF
In which Scrabble dictionary does RELIEF exist?
Definitions of RELIEF in dictionaries:
- noun - the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced
- noun - the condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress)
- noun - (law) redress awarded by a court
- noun - someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)
- noun - assistance in time of difficulty
- noun - a pause for relaxation
- noun - a change for the better
- noun - aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped
- noun - the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance)
- noun - sculpture consisting of shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the surrounding background
- noun - the act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged
- The easing of a burden or distress, such as pain, anxiety, or oppression.
- Something that alleviates pain or distress.
- Public assistance.
- Aid in time of danger, especially rescue from siege.
- Release from a post or duty, as that of sentinel.
- One who releases another by taking over a post or duty.
- A pleasant or amusing change; a diversion.
- The projection of figures or forms from a flat background, as in sculpture, or such a projection that is apparent only, as in painting.
- A work of art featuring such projection.
- The variations in elevation of an area of the earth’s surface.
- Distinction or prominence due to contrast: “The light brought the white church... into relief from the flat ledges” (Willa Cather).
- Redress awarded by a court.
- A payment made by the heir of a deceased tenant to a feudal lord for the privilege of succeeding to the tenant’s estate.
- noun - aid in the form of money or necessities