Scrabble word: GAMBIT
In which Scrabble dictionary does GAMBIT exist?
Definitions of GAMBIT in dictionaries:
- noun - an opening remark intended to secure an advantage for the speaker
- noun - a maneuver in a game or conversation
- noun - a chess move early in the game in which the player sacrifices minor pieces in order to obtain an advantageous position
- An opening in chess in which a minor piece, or pieces, usually a pawn, is offered in exchange for a favorable position.
- A maneuver, stratagem, or ploy, especially one used at an initial stage.
- Critics familiar with the nature of chess gambits have sometimes maintained that the word should not be used in an extended sense except to refer to maneuvers that involve the tactical sacrifice of some advantage.
- noun - a type of chess opening