Scrabble word: OUGHT
In which Scrabble dictionary does OUGHT exist?
Definitions of OUGHT in dictionaries:
- Used to indicate obligation or duty: You ought to work harder than that.
- Used to indicate advisability or prudence: You ought to wear a raincoat.
- Used to indicate desirability: You ought to have been there; it was great fun.
- In questions and negative sentences, especially those with contractions, to is also sometimes omitted: Oughtn’t we be going soon? Although the omission of to was formerly possible in English, it is now considered nonstandard.
- verb - to be under obligation to pay or repay