Scrabble word: TEMPER
In which Scrabble dictionary does TEMPER exist?
Definitions of TEMPER in dictionaries:
- noun - a sudden outburst of anger
- noun - a characteristic (habitual or relatively temporary) state of feeling
- noun - a disposition to exhibit uncontrolled anger
- noun - the elasticity and hardness of a metal object
- verb - bring to a desired consistency, texture, or hardness by a process of gradually heating and cooling
- verb - harden by reheating and cooling in oil
- verb - adjust the pitch (of pianos)
- verb - make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else
- verb - restrain
- To modify by the addition of a moderating element; moderate: “temper its doctrinaire logic with a little practical wisdom” (Robert H.
- To bring to a desired consistency, texture, hardness, or other physical condition by or as if by blending, admixing, or kneading: temper clay; paints that had been tempered with oil.
- To harden or strengthen (metal or glass) by application of heat or by heating and cooling.
- To strengthen through experience or hardship; toughen: soldiers who had been tempered by combat.
- To adjust finely; attune: a portfolio that is tempered to the investor’s needs.
- To be or become tempered.
- Calmness of mind or emotions; composure: lose one’s temper.
- A tendency to become easily angry or irritable: a quick temper.
- An outburst of rage: a fit of temper.
- A characteristic general quality; tone: heroes who exemplified the medieval temper; the politicized temper of the 1930’s.
- The condition of being tempered.
- The degree of hardness and elasticity of a metal, chiefly steel, achieved by tempering.
- A modifying substance or agent added to something else.
- A middle course between extremes; a mean.
- verb - to moderate by adding a counterbalancing agent