Scrabble word: STEM
In which Scrabble dictionary does STEM exist?
Definitions of STEM in dictionaries:
- noun - (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- noun - a slender or elongated structure that supports a plant or fungus or a plant part or plant organ
- noun - cylinder forming a long narrow part of something
- noun - the tube of a tobacco pipe
- noun - front part of a vessel or aircraft
- noun - a turn made in skiing
- verb - grow out of, have roots in, originate in
- verb - cause to point inward
- verb - stop the flow of a liquid
- verb - remove the stem from
- The main ascending axis of a plant; a stalk or trunk.
- A slender stalk supporting or connecting another plant part, such as a leaf or flower.
- A banana stalk bearing several bunches of bananas.
- The tube of a tobacco pipe.
- The slender upright support of a wineglass or goblet.
- The small projecting shaft with an expanded crown by which a watch is wound.
- The rounded rod in the center of certain locks about which the key fits and is turned.
- The shaft of a feather or hair.
- The upright stroke of a typeface or letter.
- The vertical line extending from the head of a note.
- The main line of descent of a family.
- The curved upright beam at the fore of a vessel into which the hull timbers are scarfed to form the prow.
- To have or take origin or descent.
- To remove the stem of.
- To provide with a stem.
- The central meaning shared by these verbs is “to come forth or come into being”: customs stemming from the past; misery arising from war; rights deriving from citizenship; disapproval emanating from the teacher; happiness that flows from their friendship; prejudice that issues from fear; a proposal originating in the Congress; a mistake that proceeded from carelessness; rebellion rising in the provinces; new industries springing up.
- To stop or hold back by or as if by damming; stanch.
- To plug or tamp (a blast hole, for example).
- To point (skis) inward.
- verb - to remove stems (ascending axes of a plant) from