Scrabble word: CLAIM
In which Scrabble dictionary does CLAIM exist?
Definitions of CLAIM in dictionaries:
- noun - an assertion of a right (as to money or property)
- noun - an assertion that something is true or factual
- noun - demand for something as rightful or due
- noun - an informal right to something
- noun - an established or recognized right
- noun - a demand especially in the phrase "the call of duty"
- verb - assert or affirm strongly
- verb - demand as being one's due or property
- verb - ask for legally or make a legal claim to, as of debts, for example
- verb - lay claim to
- verb - take as an undesirable consequence of some event or state of affairs
- To demand or ask for as one’s own or one’s due; assert one’s right to: claim a reward.
- To take in a violent manner as if by right: a hurricane that claimed two lives.
- To state to be true, especially when open to question; assert or maintain: claimed he had won the race; a candidate claiming many supporters.
- To deserve or call for; require: problems that claim her attention.
- A demand for something as rightful or due.
- A basis for demanding something; a title or right.
- Something claimed in a formal or legal manner, especially a tract of public land staked out by a miner or homesteader.
- A demand for payment in accordance with an insurance policy or other formal arrangement.
- The sum of money demanded.
- The central meaning shared by these nouns is “a legitimate or asserted right to demand something as one’s rightful due”: had a strong legal claim to the property; makes no pretense to scholarliness; pretensions to the chairmanship unjustified in every particular; has no title to our thanks.
- verb - to demand as one's due