Scrabble word: LAW
In which Scrabble dictionary does LAW exist?
Definitions of LAW in dictionaries:
- noun - the collection of rules imposed by authority
- noun - legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity
- noun - a rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
- noun - a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature
- noun - the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
- noun - the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system
- noun - the force of policemen and officers
- A rule of conduct or procedure established by custom, agreement, or authority.
- The body of rules and principles governing the affairs of a community and enforced by a political authority; a legal system: international law.
- The condition of social order and justice created by adherence to such a system: a breakdown of law and civilized behavior.
- A set of rules or principles dealing with a specific area of a legal system: tax law; criminal law.
- A piece of enacted legislation.
- The system of judicial administration giving effect to the laws of a community: All citizens are equal before the law.
- Legal action or proceedings; litigation: submit a dispute to law.
- An impromptu or extralegal system of justice substituted for established judicial procedure: frontier law.
- An agency or agent responsible for enforcing the law.
- A police officer.
- The science and study of law; jurisprudence.
- Knowledge of law.
- The profession of an attorney.
- Something, such as an order or a dictum, having absolute or unquestioned authority: The commander’s word was law.
- The body of principles or precepts held to express the divine will, especially as revealed in the Bible: Mosaic Law.
- The first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures.
- A code of principles based on morality, conscience, or nature.
- A rule or custom generally established in a particular domain: the unwritten laws of good sportsmanship.
- A way of life: the law of the jungle.
- A formulation describing a relationship observed to be invariable between or among phenomena for all cases in which the specified conditions are met: the law of gravity.
- A generalization based on consistent experience or results: the law of supply and demand; the law of averages.
- A general principle or rule that is assumed or that has been proven to hold between expressions.
- A principle of organization, procedure, or technique: the laws of grammar; the laws of visual perspective.
- verb - to take a complaint to court for settlement