Scrabble word: BUT
In which Scrabble dictionary does BUT exist?
Definitions of BUT in dictionaries:
- adv - and nothing more
- On the contrary: the plan caused not prosperity but ruin.
- Contrary to expectation; yet: She organized her work but accomplished very little.
- Used to indicate an exception: No one but she saw the prowler.
- With the exception that; except that.
- Without the result that: It never rains but it pours.
- That... not.
- If not; unless: “Ten to one but the police have got them” (Charlotte M.
- Than: They had no sooner arrived but they turned around and left.
- Merely; just; only: hopes that lasted but a moment.
- Traditional grammarians have worried over what form the pronoun ought to take when but is used to indicate an exception in sentences such as No one but I (or No one but me) has read it.
- noun - any of an order of marine fishes