Scrabble word: CHOKE
In which Scrabble dictionary does CHOKE exist?
Definitions of CHOKE in dictionaries:
- noun - a coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current
- noun - a valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine
- verb - breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion
- verb - be too tight
- verb - wring the neck of
- verb - constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing
- verb - struggle for breath
- verb - fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation
- verb - check or slow down the action or effect of
- verb - become or cause to become obstructed
- verb - impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of
- verb - become stultified, suppressed, or stifled
- verb - suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of
- verb - pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life
- verb - reduce the air supply
- verb - cause to retch or choke
- To interfere with the respiration of by compression or obstruction of the larynx or trachea.
- To check or slow down the movement, growth, or action of: a garden that was choked by weeds.
- To block up or obstruct by filling or clogging: Mud choked the drainpipe.
- To fill up completely; jam: Major commuter arteries were choked with stalled traffic.
- To reduce the air intake of (a carburetor), thereby enriching the fuel mixture.
- To grip (a bat or racket, for example) at a point nearer the hitting surface.
- To have difficulty in breathing, swallowing, or speaking.
- To become blocked up or obstructed.
- To shorten one’s grip on the handle of a bat or racket.
- To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension: “The only top official to choke up was the Secretary of State.... he created a problem by insisting on solving a problem that was not acute” (William Safire).
- The act or sound of choking.
- Something that constricts or chokes.
- A narrow part, such as the chokebore of a firearm.
- A device used in an internal-combustion engine to enrich the fuel mixture by reducing the flow of air to the carburetor.
- verb - to impede the breathing of