Scrabble word: WARD
In which Scrabble dictionary does WARD exist?
Definitions of WARD in dictionaries:
- noun - a person who is under the protection or in the custody of another
- noun - a district into which a city or town is divided for the purpose of administration and elections
- noun - block forming a division of a hospital (or a suite of rooms) shared by patients who need a similar kind of care
- noun - English economist and conservationist (1914-1981)
- noun - English writer of novels who was an active opponent of the women's suffrage movement (1851-1920)
- noun - United States businessman who in 1872 established a successful mail-order business (1843-1913)
- noun - a division of a prison (usually consisting of several cells)
- verb - watch over or shield from danger or harm
- A division of a city or town, especially an electoral district, for administrative and representative purposes.
- A district of some English and Scottish counties corresponding roughly to the hundred or the wapentake.
- A room in a hospital usually holding six or more patients.
- A division in a hospital for the care of a particular group of patients: a maternity ward.
- One of the divisions of a penal institution, such as a prison.
- An open court or area of a castle or fortification enclosed by walls.
- A minor or incompetent person placed under the care or protection of a guardian or court.
- A person under the protection or care of another.
- The state of being under guard; custody.
- The act of guarding or protecting; guardianship.
- A means of protection; a defense.
- A defensive movement or attitude, especially in fencing; a guard.
- The projecting ridge of a lock or keyhole that prevents the turning of a key other than the proper one.
- The notch cut into a key that corresponds to such a ridge.
- To turn aside; parry: ward off an opponent’s blows.
- To try to prevent; avert: took vitamins to ward off head colds.
- verb - to turn aside