Scrabble word: VAIN
In which Scrabble dictionary does VAIN exist?
Definitions of VAIN in dictionaries:
- adj - characteristic of false pride
- adj - unproductive of success
- Not yielding the desired outcome; fruitless: a vain attempt.
- Lacking substance or worth: vain talk.
- Excessively proud of one’s appearance or accomplishments; conceited.
- To no avail; without success: Our labor was in vain.
- The central meaning shared by these adjectives is “lacking value or substance”: vain regrets; empty pleasures; hollow threats; idle dreams; nugatory commentaries; an otiose belief in alchemy.
- adv - filled with undue admiration for oneself [adj VAINER, VAINEST] : VAINLY