Scrabble word: LAY
In which Scrabble dictionary does LAY exist?
Definitions of LAY in dictionaries:
- noun - a narrative song with a recurrent refrain
- noun - a narrative poem of popular origin
- noun - a statement that deviates from or perverts the truth
- noun - Norwegian diplomat who was the first Secretary General of the United Nations (1896-1968)
- noun - position or manner in which something is situated
- verb - put into a certain place or abstract location
- verb - put in a horizontal position
- verb - prepare or position for action or operation
- verb - lay eggs
- verb - impose as a duty, burden, or punishment
- adj - characteristic of those who are not members of the clergy
- adj - not of or from a profession
- To cause to lie down: lay a child in its crib.
- To place in or bring to a particular state or position.
- To bury.
- To put or set down: lay new railroad track.
- To produce and deposit: lay eggs.
- To cause to subside; calm or allay: “chas’d the clouds... and laid the winds” (John Milton).
- To put up to or against: lay an ear to the door.
- To put forward as a reproach or an accusation: They laid the blame on us.
- To put or set in order or readiness for use: lay the table for lunch.
- To devise; contrive: lay plans.
- To spread over a surface: lay paint on a canvas.
- To place or give (importance): lay stress on clarity of expression.
- To impose as a burden or punishment: lay a penalty upon the offender.
- To present for examination: lay a case before a committee.
- To put forward as a demand or an assertion: laid claim to the estate.
- To place (a bet); wager.
- To aim (a gun or cannon).
- To place together (strands) to be twisted into rope.
- To make in this manner: lay up cable.
- To have sexual intercourse with.
- To produce and deposit eggs.
- To bet; wager.
- To engage energetically in an action.
- To put oneself into the position indicated.
- The direction the strands of a rope or cable are twisted in: a left lay.
- The amount of such twist.
- The state of one that lays eggs: a hen coming into lay.
- Vulgar Slang.
- Sexual intercourse.
- A partner in sexual intercourse.
- To give up; abandon: lay aside all hope of rescue.
- To save for the future.
- To reserve for the future; save.
- To put aside and hold for future delivery.
- To give up and surrender: laid down their arms.
- To specify: laid down the rules.
- To store for the future.
- To lie down.
- To scold sharply.
- To attack physically; beat up.
- To terminate the employment of (a worker), especially temporarily.
- To mark off: lay off an area for a garden.
- To stop doing something; quit.
- To place all or a part of an accepted bet with another bookie in order to reduce the risk.
- To apply (something) by or as if by spreading (it) onto a flat surface: laid on a thick Southern accent.
- To prepare, usually in an elaborate fashion; arrange: laid on cocktails for 50 at the last minute.
- To present or reveal to; confront with: “went around talking to people about anything until he could lay his standard question on them” (John Vinocur).
- To make a detailed plan for.
- To clothe and prepare (a corpse) for burial.
- To rebuke harshly: She laid me out for breaking the vase.
- To knock to the ground or unconscious.
- To expend; spend: lay out a fortune on jewelry.
- To display: lay out merchandise; lay the merchandise out.
- To bring (a ship) to a stop in open water.
- To remain stationary and face into the wind.
- To stock for future use: lay up supplies for a long journey.
- To confine with an illness or injury: was laid up for a month.
- To put (a ship) in dock, as for repairs.
- To exaggerate; overstate.
- To accelerate suddenly a motor vehicle from a halt to a high speed, thereby spinning the wheels and depositing on the road a thin film of burned rubber from the rear tire or tires.
- Of, relating to, or involving the laity: a lay preacher.
- Not of or belonging to a particular profession; nonprofessional: a lay opinion as to the seriousness of the disease.
- A narrative poem, such as one sung by medieval minstrels; a ballad.
- A song; a tune.
- verb - to deposit as a wager
There are 3 letters in LAY: A L Y
Scrabble words that can be created with an extra letter added to LAY
All anagrams that could be made from letters of word LAY plus a wildcard: LAY?
Scrabble words that can be created with letters from word LAY
Images for LAY
SCRABBLE is the registered trademark of Hasbro and J.W. Spear & Sons Limited. Our scrabble word finder and scrabble cheat word builder is not associated with the Scrabble brand - we merely provide help for players of the official Scrabble game. All intellectual property rights to the game are owned by respective owners in the U.S.A and Canada and the rest of the world. Anagrammer.com is not affiliated with Scrabble. This site is an educational tool and resource for Scrabble & Words With Friends players.