Scrabble word: FOIL
In which Scrabble dictionary does FOIL exist?
Definitions of FOIL in dictionaries:
- noun - a piece of thin and flexible sheet metal
- noun - anything that serves by contrast to call attention to another thing's good qualities
- noun - a device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through
- noun - picture consisting of a positive photograph or drawing on a transparent base
- noun - a light slender flexible sword tipped by a button
- verb - enhance by contrast
- verb - hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
- verb - cover or back with foil
- To prevent from being successful; thwart.
- To obscure or confuse (a trail or scent) so as to evade pursuers.
- A repulse; a setback.
- The trail or scent of an animal.
- A thin, flexible leaf or sheet of metal: aluminum foil.
- A thin layer of polished metal placed under a displayed gem to lend it brilliance.
- One that by contrast underscores or enhances the distinctive characteristics of another: “I am resolved my husband shall not be a rival, but a foil to me” (Charlotte Bront).
- The reflective metal coating on the back of a glass mirror.
- A curvilinear, often lobelike figure or space formed between the cusps of intersecting arcs, found especially in Gothic tracery and Moorish ornament.
- An airfoil.
- A hydrofoil.
- To cover or back with foil.
- To set off by contrast.
- A fencing sword having a usually circular guard and a thin, flexible four-sided blade with a button on the tip to prevent injury.
- Often foils.
- adj - to prevent the success of [v -ED, -ING, -S] : FOILABLE