Scrabble word: TURF
In which Scrabble dictionary does TURF exist?
Definitions of TURF in dictionaries:
- noun - surface layer of ground containing a mat of grass and grass roots
- noun - the territory claimed by a juvenile gang as its own
- noun - range of jurisdiction or influence
- verb - cover (the ground) with a surface layer of grass or grass roots
- A surface layer of earth containing a dense growth of grass and its matted roots; sod.
- An artificial substitute for such a grassy layer, as on a playing field.
- A piece cut from a layer of earth or sod.
- A piece of peat that is burned for use as fuel.
- The range of the authority or influence of a person, group, or thing; a bailiwick: “a bureaucracy like any other, chiefly concerned with turf, promotions, the budget, and protecting the retirement system” (Harper’s).
- A geographical area; a territory.
- The area claimed by a gang, as of youths, as its personal territory.
- A racetrack.
- The sport or business of racing horses.
- To spread with turf: turfed the front yard.
- Chiefly British.
- To kill: “These guys can’t... make sure nobody gets turfed” (Scott Turow).
- noun - a surface layer of earth containing a dense growth of grass and its roots
- verb - to cover with turf