Scrabble word: IDIOM
In which Scrabble dictionary does IDIOM exist?
Definitions of IDIOM in dictionaries:
- noun - a manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language
- noun - the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people
- noun - the style of a particular artist or school or movement
- noun - an expression whose meanings cannot be inferred from the meanings of the words that make it up
- A speech form or an expression of a given language that is peculiar to itself grammatically or cannot be understood from the individual meanings of its elements, as in keep tabs on.
- The specific grammatical, syntactic, and structural character of a given language.
- Regional speech or dialect.
- A specialized vocabulary used by a group of people; jargon: legal idiom.
- A style or manner of expression peculiar to a given people: “Also important is the uneasiness I’ve always felt at cutting myself off from my idiom, the American habits of speech and jest and reaction, all of them entirely different from the local variety” (S.
- A style of artistic expression characteristic of a particular individual, school, period, or medium: the idiom of the French impressionists; the punk rock idiom.
- noun - an expression peculiar to a language