Log In to Anagrammer
Scrabble word: FLY
In which Scrabble dictionary does FLY exist?
Definitions of FLY in dictionaries:
- noun - two-winged insects characterized by active flight
- noun - flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent
- noun - an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or by buttons concealed under a fold of cloth
- noun - (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air
- noun - fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
- verb - travel through the air
- verb - move quickly or suddenly
- verb - operate an airplane
- verb - transport by aeroplane
- verb - cause to fly or float
- verb - be dispersed or disseminated
- verb - change quickly from one emotional state to another
- verb - pass away rapidly
- verb - travel in an airplane
- verb - display in the air or cause to float
- verb - run away quickly
- verb - travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft
- verb - hit a fly
- verb - decrease rapidly and disappear
- adj - (British informal) not to be deceived or hoodwinked
- To move through the air by means of wings or winglike parts.
- To travel by air: We flew to Dallas.
- To operate an aircraft or spacecraft.
- To rise in or be carried through the air by the wind: a kite flying above the playground.
- To float or flap in the air: pennants flying from the masthead.
- To move or be sent through the air with great speed: bullets flying in every direction; a plate that flew from my hands when I stumbled.
- To move with great speed; rush or dart: The children flew down the hall.
- To flee; escape.
- To hasten; spring: flew to her students’ defense.
- To pass by swiftly: a vacation flying by; youth that is soon flown.
- To be dissipated; vanish: Their small inheritance was quickly flown.
- To hit a fly ball.
- To undergo an explosive reaction; burst: The dropped plate flew into pieces.
- To gain acceptance or approval; go over: “However sophisticated the reasoning, this particular notion may not fly” (New York Times).
- To cause to fly or float in the air: fly a kite; fly a flag.
- To operate under (a particular flag): a tanker that flies the Liberian flag.
- To pilot (an aircraft or a spacecraft).
- To carry or transport in an aircraft or a spacecraft: fly emergency supplies to a stricken area.
- To pass over or through in flight: flew the coastal route in record time.
- To perform in a spacecraft or an aircraft: flew six missions into space.
- To flee or run from: fly a place in panic.
- To avoid; shun: fly temptation.
- The act of flying; flight.
- A fold of cloth that covers a fastening of a garment, especially one on the front of trousers.
- The fastening or opening covered by such a fold.
- A flap that covers an entrance or forms a rooflike extension for a tent or the canopy of a vehicle.
- A flyleaf.
- A fly ball.
- The span of a flag from the staff to the outer edge.
- The outer edge of a flag.
- A flywheel.
- A one-horse carriage, especially one for hire.
- To shoot, hurl, or release: The troops let fly a volley of gunfire.
- To lash out; assault: The mayor let fly with an angry attack on her critics.
- On the run; in a hurry: took lunch on the fly.
- While in the air; in flight: caught the ball on the fly.
- Any of numerous two-winged insects of the order Diptera, especially any of the family Muscidae, which includes the housefly.
- Any of various other flying insects, such as the caddis fly.
- A fishing lure simulating a fly, made by attaching materials such as feathers, tinsel, and colored thread to a fishhook.
- Mentally alert; sharp.
- adv - mentally keen [adj -ERER, -EREST] : CLEVERLY
- verb - to move through the air
- verb - to hit a ball high into the air in baseball
There are 3 letters in FLY: F L Y
Scrabble words that can be created with an extra letter added to FLY
All anagrams that could be made from letters of word FLY plus a wildcard: FLY?
Scrabble words that can be created with letters from word FLY
3 letter words
Images for FLY
SCRABBLE is the registered trademark of Hasbro and J.W. Spear & Sons Limited. Our scrabble word finder and scrabble cheat word builder is not associated with the Scrabble brand - we merely provide help for players of the official Scrabble game. All intellectual property rights to the game are owned by respective owners in the U.S.A and Canada and the rest of the world. Anagrammer.com is not affiliated with Scrabble. This site is an educational tool and resource for Scrabble & Words With Friends players.