Scrabble word: TRIAL
In which Scrabble dictionary does TRIAL exist?
Definitions of TRIAL in dictionaries:
- noun - the act of testing something
- noun - trying something to find out about it
- noun - the act of undergoing testing
- noun - (law) the determination of a person's innocence or guilt by due process of law
- noun - (sports) a preliminary competition to determine qualifications
- noun - an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event
- Examination of evidence and applicable law by a competent tribunal to determine the issue of specified charges or claims.
- The act or process of testing, trying, or putting to the proof: a trial of one’s faith.
- An instance of such testing, especially as part of a series of tests or experiments.
- An effort or attempt: succeeded on the third trial.
- A state of pain or anguish that tests patience, endurance, or belief: “the fiery trial through which we pass” (Abraham Lincoln).
- A trying, troublesome, or annoying person or thing: The child was a trial to his parents.
- A preliminary competition or test to determine qualifications, as in a sport.
- Of, relating to, or used in a trial.
- Attempted or advanced on a provisional or experimental basis: a trial separation.
- The central meaning shared by these nouns is “distress or suffering that severely tests resiliency and character”: no consolation in their hour of trial; the affliction of a bereaved family; the crucible of revolution; the ordeal of being an innocent murder suspect; domestic tribulations; an epidemic considered to be a visitation.
- noun - a judicial examination